Either spouse in a divorce can request alimony. Before the courts award alimony to the spouse, they must prove that they need the support and that the other spouse can pay it. If this can be established, the judge will consider these factors before awarding and creating a payment plan.
- The current standard of living for each spouse.
- The length of the marriage.
- The age and both the emotional and physical health of each spouse.
- The financial resources of each spouse.
- The time necessary for the spouse requesting support to acquire sufficient training for a job or the time it will take them to find appropriate employment.
- The contributions of each spouse to the marriage, including education, childcare, and career-building of the other spouse.
- Each spouse's financial conditions, including earning capacity, property, and debt.