Changing A Custody or Visitation Order

Custody and visitation are two of the most hotly contested issues in any divorce. Both parents usually want to spend as much time with their children as possible. Fortunately, in Georgia, there is an avenue for changing a custody or visitation order under certain circumstances.

Please note that there is a big difference in requesting a change in visitation (or parenting time) and requesting a change in legal or physical custody. Here are the basics you need to know if you think a change in your current order is warranted.

Changing Visitation (Parenting Time)

The visitation schedule, or parenting time, is the arrangement between the custodial and non-custodial parent as to how they will split physical custody of the children. Once the initial custody order is approved, a parent can request a change in the visitation schedule once every two years and sometimes without even having to show a substantial change in circumstances.

The requirements for changing visitation are not as strict as those for a change in custody. If the facts surrounding the petition for a change is properly laid out, it should likely be approved by the court.

Changing Custody

In contrast with visitation, the only way the court will consider a change in custody once the original order is approved is if there is a substantial change in circumstances that affects the welfare of the child. A substantial change would be a major event such as a relocation or if the child begins doing poorly in school. Substantial changes can also include negative events such as abuse by a parent, drug or alcohol abuse in the home, or criminal activity by a parent

Remember that the court’s main concern is what is in the best interests of the child, and that will be the main factor in determining whether a change in custody is warranted.

The Children Have A Say

Under Georgia law, when the initial custody order is crafted, a child’s preference for who they want to live with is taken into account depending on their age. If the child is 11 years old or older, the judge will ask them for their preference, but will also consider other factors before deciding on custody. A child 14 years old or older can state a definite preference for which parent they wish to reside with, and as long as it is in the best interests of the child, the judge will lean heavily towards that choice.

As for changing custody, if a child 14 or older wishes to change the custody arrangement, that is considered a substantial change and qualifies for a custody modification. Additionally, in some cases regarding a child’s preference, it is not unusual for the court to appoint a guardian ad litem to evaluate the circumstances and advocate for the best interests of the child in court.

Changing Residence

If a parent plans to relocate, that is considered a significant enough change to warrant an examination of the custody order. The court will consider a change in custody as long as it is in the best interests of the child.

Regardless of whether custody is changed or not, any parent planning to move must inform the other parent of their intent to change residence. Georgia law also requires that a parent who is moving notify anyone with visitation privileges at least 30 days before they move and provide a new address.

If a substantial change affecting the welfare of your children is making you consider changing a custody or visitation order, Family Matters Law Group can help. With years of experience in custody cases, we’ve helped many clients modify an existing order to better meet the best interests of their family. Contact us today via phone or online and let us help you fight for your family!

Phone: 678-545-2118

Monday - Thursday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
Friday: 9:00am - 1:00pm
Saturday - Sunday: Closed
Stay up-to-date on our latest news

This website is a public resource of general information concerning our law firm and not intended to be a source of legal advice. Family Matters Law Group, P.C. intends to provide up-to-date, current, and correct information, however it does not guarantee, promise or assert that the information is as such. The information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Internet subscribers and online readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Links on this website are not intended to be referrals or endorsements of the linked entities. Family Matters Law Group, P.C. expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this site. The reproduction or retransmission of the contents of this Web site is prohibited without the prior written consent of Family Matters Law Group, P.C.
© 2022 Family Matters Law Group, P.C.. All Rights Reserved.
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram