Divorce Decree Modifications


One major question we hear quite frequently as family law attorneys is whether or not a client may file a contempt action as a response to their ex-spouse’s petition for modification, whether it be in regards to child support or divorce in general.

The answer is: absolutely! You may file an action for contempt of court as a response to a modification action. While there are many laws and rules surrounding modifications and contempt, an experienced lawyer can help you get the results you want and stop changes to child support, alimony, or other terms of a divorce decree you may encounter.
Presenting a Motion for Recusal

Acceptable Responses Regarding Support

For this, we’ll use an example. Say that the mother and father are divorced, and the father has been ordered to pay the mother alimony. The father has not paid in several months and decides to file a petition to modify the alimony. As a response, the mother decides she would like to file a motion of contempt since the father has missed alimony payments. This is allowable, but she must prove that the ex-spouse has willfully disregarded the court order by failing to pay alimony as ordered.

Not Acceptable Responses Regarding Custody

Another example we’ll use is in regards to custody of the child. Let’s say that the father in this situation has been awarded primary custody of the child, and the mother has been awarded visitation rights. The mother has the child for her visitation but refuses to return the child to the father after her period is over on several occasions. The father decides to file a motion for contempt of court. As a response, the mother would like to file a petition to modify the custody arrangement. This is not allowable.


If your ex-spouse has failed to comply with a divorce decree, you can take certain motions for divorce decree modifications. One of these is filing a motion for contempt. We do recommend that you make requests in writing before resorting to legal action. Remember that these letters may be used in court, so it’s best to keep it cordial. If this fails, you’re allowed to file what’s called a Petition for Contempt with the court.

You will both be required to appear in court, and your ex-spouse will have to explain why they haven’t complied with the order, such as having the money to pay but not wanting to. Violations can result in fines or incarceration. For assistance with modifying divorce decrees, a lawyer who specializes in family law and divorce is vital to ensure the best possible outcome.


Now that you have taken the time to educate yourself on who we are, it’s time to focus on how to move forward in your case. Contact us via phone or the contact form to schedule your comprehensive one-hour consultation. Be sure to have available, all relevant information and details about your case when you contact Family Matters Law Group so that we can provide you with an exceptionally personalized experience.
Contact us
Phone: 678-545-2118

Monday - Thursday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
Friday: 9:00am - 1:00pm
Saturday - Sunday: Closed
Stay up-to-date on our latest news

This website is a public resource of general information concerning our law firm and not intended to be a source of legal advice. Family Matters Law Group, P.C. intends to provide up-to-date, current, and correct information, however it does not guarantee, promise or assert that the information is as such. The information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Internet subscribers and online readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Links on this website are not intended to be referrals or endorsements of the linked entities. Family Matters Law Group, P.C. expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this site. The reproduction or retransmission of the contents of this Web site is prohibited without the prior written consent of Family Matters Law Group, P.C.
© 2023 Family Matters Law Group, P.C.. All Rights Reserved.
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram